Some of the Collin County cities were again part of a ‘Safest Cities’ survey. According to SmartAsset, Frisco as ranked at #10, Plano at #11 and Mckinney at #16. Frisco is a city of 145,000 residents located about 30 miles north of Dallas. It has the fourth-lowest violent crime rate of any major U.S. city with 80 violent crimes per 100,000 residents.
To find the safest cities in the U.S. SmartAsset looks at a number of different metrics. Violent crime was a primary factor in their analysis, but they also looked at other measures of safety, such as motor vehicle accidents, drug use and excessive drinking. Th largest 200 cities in the U.S. were considered.
Data & Methodology
To determine which U.S. cities are safest for residents, SmartAsset look at data on the largest 200 cities in the country. We considered six metrics in total, reflective of leading causes of death and injury in the U.S.
- Violent crime rate. The number of violent crimes per 100,000 residents.
- Vehicular mortality rate. The number of automobile accident deaths per 100,000 residents.
- Drug poisoning mortality rate. The number of drug poisoning deaths per 100,000 residents. Drug overdoses are the most common cause of drug poisonings.
- Population engaging in excessive drinking. The percentage of the population that consumed more than 4 (women) or 5 (men) drinks of alcohol on a single occasion over a 30-day period.
- Air Quality Index. A measure of particulate matter, ozone and other forms of air pollution calculated by the EPA. Air pollution is a factor for many of the country’s most deadly medical conditions.
- Commuters driving to work alone. The percentage of the workforce that gets to work by driving alone.
For complete study, please refer to SmartAsset website.
- City of Plano to distribute water through contactless site - February 19, 2021
- North Texas Food Bank To Host Emergency Mobile Pantry Distributions on Feb 20 (Saturday), To Support Community After Winter Storms - February 19, 2021
- City of Princeton issues Boil Water Notice - February 16, 2021